About Me

My photo
Douglas, Alaska, United States
I have lived in Alaska since 1978, having come to Juneau as a Jesuit Volunteer. I fell in love with Alaska and now live on Douglas Island with my husband and two dogs.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Name (and Photo) In Print!

I just wanted to let you know that a photo of mine will be printed in the Los Angeles Times on Sunday (she said calmly).  Let me rephrase that:

A PHOTO OF MINE WILL BE PRINTED IN THE LOS ANGELES TIMES ON SUNDAY!!!!!!

My friend Anne Hurley and I went to Vashon Island for a quick overnight last May and being a writer, she did a freelance travel article about our stay at the Betty MacDonald Farm there.  Her camera wasn't working so she asked me to take some photos to accompany the article. Here is the photo they chose:





Pretty exciting, no?

Here are some of the other photos I took on the trip...


I loved this little birdie planter with the Hens and Chicks - perfect!


Here is the deck of the cottage.


This is the beautiful gate.




Items in the barn and museum


I loved this old shed surrounded by forget me nots!


The barn

It was such a fun trip, now made doubly so by the excitement of being published!

Thanks Anne, for writing the story, and for having a broken camera!


12 comments:

  1. Wow, Paula, how very exciting! Congratulations! Great photos, it is no wonder that they chose that one for the paper...Your famous now!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! It's not every day you can make a statement like that (:

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope your son enjoys UK. I'm a graduate, as is my husband, and we still bleed blue. Quite a distance for your son to travel. What brought him to KY?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment about my episode in the hen house. I felt all creepy all night and didn't sleep well either.
    I can't wait to read the article I will go there next.
    The pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to come back and tell you what a lovely article it is and I knew about the Egg and I but I didn't know she wrote Mrs. Piggy-Wiggle. My copy is so old.
    I will see if my library has the rest of her books.
    It sounds like you had a wonderful time and made wish I could go visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations how exciting ....that barn and sweet bird planter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great, Paula! Be sure to find a way to frame that article...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting to have your photo in print, well done!

    The street food photo on my blog is chips and mushy peas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paula,
    The mushy peas are made using dried marrowfat peas which are soaked for a few hours in water with bicarbonate of soda and then boiled until mushy.
    I don't think many people actually make them at home nowadays but they're still very popular in chip shops. Fish, chips and mushy peas is a classic meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some truly beautiful photos. Congratulations on being published in the Times that is awesome. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your very nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - congrats. I'd be shouting that from the rooftops too! Great photo.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments - please tell me what you think!